Hi, here is another ATT customer with ATT Cable connected to Debian.

I run auth,telnet(Dahh), sshd, exim, httpd accessible from most net but
all other ports are blocked by ipchains.  If you are worried about
ATT scanning, use your providers ip range to block access to open ports.

Just plug NNTP ports when you install.  See log and find out these authorized
portscan.  Then block those 2 IPs.

Unless you run seruoisly high trafficking web server or something,
cable company has no time to police you.  You should be more concered
about script kiddy running portscan on your machine.

Remember that ATT say you can not use your conection to serve
outside of your property but according to the contract it is OK to
have masq box.  If you talk to CS of ATT, they say differently,
but CONTRACT is THE ONLY thing it conts in this contry.

Good luck.

Osamu