JC,

I had a very similar experience over this past weekend. I was
unable to ping any of my subnet..!.. Looking at my nic, I seen it
was on fire with activity, but tcpdump didn't show any activity :|

I had upgraded the night before, but was so sleepy, I didn't see what
was touched during the upgrade (never upgrade until you are ready to
read what is being upgraded <grin>) and just knew it had to be something
that changed a config file... It wasn't.

It was a loose BNC connection on the last box on the LAN. It
was quite amazing. After cleaning the connections (good to do from time
to time) all was well on the lan and pings freely flowed  . . .

Moral of story = always check the oblivious first, then the configs :) . . .

HTH & good luck

--

Jaye Inabnit, ARS ke6sls     e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
707-442-6579 h/m                     707-268-4074