Jan Ulrich Hasecke wrote:

[Description of complicated problem omitted]

> I am very confused. Can anyone give me a hint, how to setup DSL?
>
> Thanks!
> juh
>
> > I set up pppoe as written in README.Debian. So I edited
> > /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider and all the other files.

I'm not sure about what your actual problem is, but what I ended up
doing is installing the tarball from Roaring Penguin itself:

http://www.roaringpenguin.com/pppoe/

It has the scripts adsl-setup, adsl-start, and adsl-stop, which made
setup a no-brainer.

The potato deb does not have the scripts, and the woody deb has man
pages for the scripts, but still no scripts!  :-(

Depends on how far you want to stray from The Debian Way(TM).

Academic for me, since I ended up buying a router.  :-)