On 12 May 2001, Johann Spies wrote:

>I get the error in the subject line when I try to run mp3blaster on a
>mp3-file. I have tried xmms, alsaplayer and freeamp and they also
>fail.

The error is pretty much what's happening: you have an IRQ conflict.  If
you have an ISA card, is there something that's already on the IRQ line?
If you have a PCI card, is there something that is hogging the IRQ?

>I can play CD's without a problem.  How can I find out what the
>problem is and how to solve it?

CD Direct Audio (CDDA) makes the bus irrelevant.  The only thing that can
stop CDDA from going out to the speaker is a loss of power to the card
(usually from a loss of power to the entire computer...) or a broken wire.

To find out your IRQ problems, first take a look at /proc/interrupts, and
also the dmesg output.  Change the IRQ on the sound card to something you
KNOW isn't taken or change whatever else is trying to use the sound card's
IRQ to something else.  This may require a trip to the BIOS to reserve an
IRQ or two in hardware.

--
 Customer:  "I'm running Windows '98"      Tech: "Yes."      Customer:
   "My computer isn't working now."     Tech: "Yes, you said that."

Who is John Galt?  [EMAIL PROTECTED], that's who!