On Tue, 2003-02-25 at 16:24, John Anderson wrote:
> Any way to cut a long story short I have come up with the following, and would
> appreciate thoughts and guidence.

I have long had multiple partitions too, but over time realized it's a
waste of space or time on a desktop. On a server it sure is a good
thing. I now have /boot 100 MB, / 30 GB (too big, but able to compile
mozilla and openoffice.org and enough for a long time :), and /home (for
backup/reinstall convenience) 90GB, Swap 1 GB (because it doesn't
matter)

> /boot         20meg

Too small if you're into testing lots of different kernel sources,
otherwise ok. Would make it 50 though just to be on the save side

> /             4gig

???? If you have /home, /var, /usr and /tmp on their own partitions, you
won't need more than 100 MB for /. I've checked with du -ch:

Dir     Size for me [MB]
/bin    5
/dev    0 (run devfs, is a virtual fs)
/etc    14
/lib    16
/proc   0, virtual
/root   2.8 (config files, should be smaller since most are from X apps)
/sbin   4.6

No big dirs. You should also consider making /opt a link to /usr/opt if
some package should need it

> /var          8gig

??? Are you a news server? Generally, /var on its own partition is a
hassle, you either waste space most of the time, or run out of space
when dist-upgrading the whole distro (downloaded packages go there).
I have found 500 MB enough, but even this is too much most of the time.
I currently have 131 MB in /var, but I use mailspools in $HOME

> /tmp          2gig

Again a hassle, mostly you waste space, but then there is this odd print
job or reaaaaallly big image in gimp. Again, why bother?

> /usr          5gig

OK

> /swap ??? 750meg ram, and from what I have read it should equal the ram up to
> 256meg

Difficult to say. In the beginning of kernel 2.4, the original vm wanted
RAM x 2 for swap, but most non-kernel people found out only when the
discussions around the different vm implementations and ripping out the
old vm boiled up. I was recently able to fill 256 RAM and 500 swap
easily when I ran 2 different gnome dev versions complete with memory
leaks for 2 users on 2 displays simultaniously.
Personally I have settled on the "what the heck, disk is cheap" approach
and now run 512 RAM + 1 GB swap.

> /home what ever is left

I'd say as much as possible without sacrificing proper system function.
Isn't running a system about doing stuff as user? (I know, not for
everybody, but still)

Cheers, M