On Wed, May 23, 2001 at 10:23:13AM -0400, MaD dUCK wrote:
> also sprach Karsten M. Self (on Tue, 22 May 2001 11:29:18PM -0700):
> > No.  Your memory's going to be released.  But your files might be
> > scrambled.  I would *not* 'kill -9' my mysqld server.
>
> one of the reasons why i wouldn't run mysql for any reason in the
> world! unless you don't need a true database backend.

There's nothing special about mysql in this respect.  Any process that
has some uncompleted I/O which is abrubtly forced to exit with SIGKILL
will leave their files in an inconsistent state.  SIGKILL can not be
caught or handled by the application.  Don't use it unless you really
have to or you know or don't care how it might affect any files.  Always
better to try SIGINT first.

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>