On Wed, 26 Feb 2003 15:10:08 +0700
"Brian Durant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> OK, I finally got CD1 image downloaded for Debian 3 Rev1. I followed the
> SuSE partitioning scheme for the first install attempt. Got to
> "configure network", where I am prompted for a "hostname". Not really
> sure how this compares to a MS "workgroup" so I left it at the default
> "debian".

"hostname" is the name of your computer. It doesn't compare at all to a MS
"workgroup". It compares to the name you'd give to your MS computer.

> Then tried to get an IP via DHCP, which is what my computers
> do (home WAN/LAN connected to LinkSys router and 3Com cable modem), but
> DHCP failed. I booted the install with the command "bf24", so support
> for the built into motherboard SiS 900 Fast Ethernet driver should be
> loaded. What do I do now???

Either the nic support has not been loaded, or your ethernet cable is unplugged (or
you have ethernet hardware issues), or you've configured your dhcp server to provide
addresses for specific MAC addresses and you've forgotten to add this machine. Of
these three things, I'd suspect the first. Use the "Configure modules" option and see
if you can find your SiS 900 in the list of loadable modules, and try to load it. If
that works, that should solve your problem.

> BTW, thanks for all of the responses so far. If anyone is interested,
> the subject line comes from a famous quote of Winston Churchill,
> describing John Foster Dulles - a bull that brings his own china shop ;-)

Which is interesting . . . .  However, you may find that you get better response on a
list like this with a more descriptive subject line, like "newbie install; no DHCP".