On Mon, 9 Jul 2001 23:33:55 +0200
Thomas Zimmerman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It might help more to have the file-systems mounted with the noatime
> option so that each read of a cached file doesn't cause disk access.

I do this anyway, but it doesn't help, since there are many logs to which the
system is writing anyway. (Still not found the time to try out the separate
/var partition)

> I would be interested to know how this kind of setup compares on
> power-usage (really meausered), and power use by linux in general.
> I've read (and don't remember at the moment where) that linux in low
> used situations is much 'lighter' on the hardware and runs much cooler.

I will do measurements when I get the disk to spin down, promised :-)

> What I would find really useful was a write up on cases/drives that
> didn't make such a racket.

Don't buy seagate hard disks. I'm disappointed how hot and loud this new disk
(an about 30MB disk) from seagate is I've bought lately.

> That is the true reason I shutdown my computer
> sometimes, the case is just too nosy.

My coworker attached a big tube to the ventilation slot on the back of my
desktop, since he thought it was too hot in the room because of this PC. So I
thing it's not only a problem of noise :-)

Christian.