On Wed, 14 Nov 2001, Colin Watson wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 09:29:00AM +0530, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Dear members ,
> >   Is there any safe way , whereby , I can  hide   init 1 from  all
> > others who access my mac ?
>
> It sounds like you're trying to secure against physical access. This is
> fundamentally hard. I suggest a password on your BIOS (what's the Mac
> equivalent?) and/or bootloader.

Worse yet, unless you have a sufficiently modern Mac, you *can't* put a
password on Open Firmware, and someone with physical access to the machine
can boot a Linux rescue disk, or Mac OS, or whatever.

I'm not sure how recent it has to be, but ISTR that not even all NewWorld
machines ( >= 1998 -- iMac and later) have that capability. And you need
to install all the Apple firmware updates. You might ask on
debian-powerpc, they'll be more familiar with those issues.

Of course, you may be trying to solve a different problem the wrong way
(as opposed to solving *this* problem the wrong way). If so, please ask
again, and be a little more specific.

- Aaron

--
Aaron Hall             :  Bugs>  Rabbit season!
[EMAIL PROTECTED]    :  Daffy> Duck season!

Macintosh/UNIX Weenie, Network Flack, and...eh, whatever.