Hank Marquardt said:

> I've found a couple links for install issues related to UDMA, but
> that isn't the  problem, the install went fine I just want them to
> talk UDMA -- I know it's not working as hdparm reports 3.68Mbs as
> it's speed:(

im not sure if the 2.4 kernel has this feature but
2.2. does. check proc to see if its turned on or not:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/proc/ide$ cat pdc202xx

                                PDC20267 Chipset.
------------------------------- General Status
---------------------------------Burst Mode
: enabledHost Mode                            : Normal
Bus Clocking                         : 66 External
IO pad select                        : 10 mA
Status Polling Period                : 4
Interrupt Check Status Polling Delay : 0
--------------- Primary Channel ---------------- Secondary Channel
-------------                enabled                          enabled66
Clocking     enabled                          enabled
           Mode PCI                         Mode PCI
                FIFO Empty                       FIFO Empty
drive1 ------DMA enabled:    yes              yes             yes
         yesDMA Mode:       UDMA 4           NOTSET          UDMA 4
NOTSET
PIO Mode:       PIO 4            NOTSET           PIO 4            NOTSET

also in my kernel config i have:
CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO=y

there is a way to turn dma on via hdparm ..check the
help, i dont have it installed.

nate