I used hdparm -d1 to turn it on for the drives and that boosts to 41Mbs on the
drives, but the pdc still shows the following:

                                PDC20265 Chipset.
------------------------------- General Status ---------------------------------
Burst Mode                           : enabled
Host Mode                            : Normal
Bus Clocking                         : 33 PCI Internal
IO pad select                        : 10 mA
Status Polling Period                : 0
Interrupt Check Status Polling Delay : 0
--------------- Primary Channel ---------------- Secondary Channel -------------
                enabled                          enabled
66 Clocking     disabled                         disabled
           Mode PCI                         Mode PCI
                FIFO Empty                       FIFO Empty
DMA enabled:    no               no              no                no
DMA Mode:       NOTSET           NOTSET          NOTSET            NOTSET
PIO Mode:       NOTSET            NOTSET           NOTSET            NOTSET

I also have the kernel config you mentioned ... also even if the hdparm works,
having auto-activation on boot is really the ideal.