I've been using dselect to upgrade KDE2 from unstable ever since I discovered
that KDE2 was available.  Today after doing an update, and seeing that
the 'kde' package has moved from 2.2.9 to 2.2.11, I get a huge list of
dependancy violations, and this explanation text:

  kde depends on kdelibs3 (>= 2.2.2-1)
* kde depends on libarts (>= 2.2.2-1), libarts-alsa (>= 2.2.2-1) or libarts-bin
* libarts-bin does not appear to be available
* kde depends on libkmid (>= 2.2.2-1), libkmid-alsa (>= 2.2.2-1) or libkmid-bin
* libkmid-bin does not appear to be available
  kde depends on kdebase (>= 2.2.2-1)
  kde depends on kdebase-audiolibs (>= 2.2.2-1)
  kde depends on kdebase-libs (>= 2.2.2-1)
  kde depends on libkonq3 (>= 2.2.2-1)
  kde depends on libkdenetwork1 (>= 2.2.2-1)
  kde depends on libmimelib1 (>= 2.2.2-1)
  kde depends on konqueror (>= 2.2.2-1)
  kde depends on kate (>= 2.2.2-1)
  kde depends on konsole (>= 2.2.2-1)
  kde depends on kscreensaver (>= 2.2.2-1)
* kde depends on libarts-mpeglib (>= 2.2.2-1) or libarts-mpeglib-cvs
* libarts-mpeglib-cvs does not appear to be available

The suggested recourse is to uninstall 'kde' and leave everything else in
place (everything else is installed already too).  Clearly I have dorked
up my system beyond dpkg's ability to resolve the dependancies, although
the only thing I ran was "apt-get update"...

The *'d lines are of interest:

1)  I have libarts, libkmid, and libarts-mpeglib all installed.  Perhaps
    those don't satisfy the deps?

2)  I would try to install libarts-alsa and libkmid-alsa, but the -alsa
    versions conflict with the non-alsa versions, and removing the non-alsa
    versions automatically removes most of the rest of KDE.

3)  What's with the "does not appear to be available" complaints?

4)  What hoops must I jump through to get kde upgradable again?

When I use 'Q' to force dselect to shut up and do what I've selected,
it automatically deselects 'kde' from the list of packages (..."and 1
not upgraded").  Maybe that's why it's called "dselect", it "de-selects"
things for you.  :-)

Phil