On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 22:33:31 -0500
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> No, actually it makes great sense -- I just can't believe I might have
> left something so obvious out!  (I suppose I may have thought IDE
> support was a default 'yes,' -- but I can see how it may be best
> assumed NOT, because SCSI is right popular....  Linux keeps me
> humble... (yet proud I use it :-) )

Debian began supporting initrd with the 2.4 series kernels. Almost
everything gets built as modules, and the ones needed to actually boot
the system are put into an "initial RAM disk", which is loaded along
with the kernel.

Initrd is basically a way to provide limited module support before
modules can be loaded from /lib/modules/<kernel name>. The *reason* it's
there is so kitchen-sink kernels can support many kinds of hardware.
When you compile your own kernel you only need to support the stuff in
your own machine, so there's no need for initrd -- just compile floppy
disk, hard drive and root filesystem support right in.

Kevin