On Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 11:47:55AM +1000, Matt Chipman wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I am trying to upgrade to Woody and use the 2.4 kernel.
> I am a wireless enthusiast and have a pcmcia to pci adapter PLX card with a
> hermes enterasis card which is why i want to use the 2.4 Kernel. (support is
> in this kernel if you didnt know)
>
> I added the correct llines to the apt soureces list and the upgrade went
> smoothly with "apt-get dist-upgrade"
>
> Upon reboot. i am still using the 2.2.17 potato kernel :(
>
> I know it is something i am doing wrong but i don't know what.
>
> RTFM and all that, i have done but have not been able to make it work.
>
> I guess my question is when i have the correct apt sources, why doesnt my
> kernel upgrade?
>
> any pointers appreciated

Woody uses a 2.2.x kernel by default.  A "dist-upgrade" isn't going to give
you a 2.4.x kernel.  You will have to snag the kernel source and build/install
the kernel yourself.

If you don't know how to install a kernel:

The debian way -
http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-kernel.html

The traditional way -
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO.html

hth,
kent

--
To know the truth is to distort the Universe.
                      Alfred N. Whitehead (adaptation)