Lo, on Thursday, May 16, Cam Ellison did write:

> * Gary Hennigan ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> <snip>
> >
> > And, *please*, for the love of God and country, can you wrap your
> > lines at 70 characters or so?!
> >

> I would love to, but every attempt seems to go nowhere.  Not everyone
> complains, but I see the litle red markers coming back indicating that
> mutt is wrapping them for me.
>
> So, here's another problem.  I have this in .muttrc:
>
> set editor="emacs '+/^$' \"set textwidth=70\""
>

> (Let's not have a flamewar about emacs vs vi, please.)  The
> information I have to date is that this should work.  It obviously
> doesn't.
>
> What should I do differently?

I'm not entirely sure what the '+/^$' means---is this perhaps a Mutt
thing?

The `set textwidth=70' is almost certainly incorrect.  In Emacs, the
relevant variable is fill-column, which is 70 by default.  However, this
only applies if you manually fill each paragraph (M-q) or turn on
auto-fill-mode.  To do the latter, add the following to your ~/.emacs
file:

(add-hook 'FOO-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)

where FOO is the major mode in which you edit your mail messages.  And,
if you're using XEmacs,

(require 'filladapt)
(add-hook 'FOO-mode-hook 'turn-on-filladapt-mode)

So, for instance, I've got

(require 'filladapt)
(add-hook 'mail-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)
(add-hook 'mail-mode-hook 'turn-on-filladapt-mode)

You shouldn't need to do this, but while we're at it, to change a
variable's contents, use something like the following:

(setq fill-column 72)

HTH,

Richard