(Sorry if this appears twice; I submitted it first via news, but I never saw
it appear. I joined the mailing list in the meantime, so here's a second
attempt.)

Background: I have a Debian system running potato. I have some experience
running Linux systems, mostly RedHat, but I'm pretty new to Debian and its
package management.

What I'm trying to do: I am trying to set up a Subversion repository (see
http://subversion.tigris.org) and client. Subversion is still pre-release,
so it's essential to build it from latest sources. It requires a lot of the
'latest stuff' related to Apache in order to work.

What I've done so far: A Subversion repository is accessed through a web
server via webdav, and requires the latest Apache release. So using dselect,
I uninstalled all Apache-related packages in potato, got the latest Apache
sources, and built and installed Apache2 from scratch. So far so good.

What I need to do: I need to build the Subversion client.

What I'm stuck on: When running configure on the Subversion sources, I'm
told that I need expat or libxml >= 1.8.3. Neither potato nor woody are up
to libxml 1.8.3. (I was considering upgrading to woody before I noticed
this -- not a decision to be taken lightly, since I live behind a modem!)

(And finally...) My questions: What's the best way to go about getting and
installing libxml 1.8.3 or greater, given that it's not available as a
package -- or if it *is* available as a package, it'll be in a distribution
that I don't want to point dselect at? (I already went through a few hours
of insanity when I made the mistake of pointing dselect at 'testing'
temporarily.) In general, how do software developers handle these situations
on Debian -- needing to install the latest-and-greatest of a library or tool
(and possibly associated dependencies), esp. when there might be 'official'
Debian versions of the same software installed already? I want to avoid
conflicting with dselect's management of the system as far as possible.

I suspect that Debian developers have to deal with this sort of problem all
the time...

Thanks in advance for any insights!