On Monday 25 July 2005 11:21 pm, Carl Fink wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 04:35:50AM +0200, Anders Breindahl wrote:
> > I am also sorry to announce, that I am one of those, who will be
> > ``jumping down peoples' throats'' in the case of not keeping to the
> > net-etiquette.
>
> Stop it.
>
> I've done that, but I've always regretted it.  Correct people, fine, but
> that's different from jumping down their throats.

Well said.  It's the same as saying, "When I see people not following
etiquette, I'm going to be rude to them."  It's just an excuse to be rude to
others.  Pointing out someone else's breach in etiquette is generally
considered rude in itself, but using that breach in etiquette as an excuse to
be even ruder is just plain nasty.

We can use whatever excuse we want, but I've found that the way clueless
newbies are treated on this list is just plain rotten.  There are polite ways
to say RTFM, but it seems to many are in a hurry to shout RTFMA and excuse
themselves as "just trying to tell them what to do" (or something similar).

Hal