On 8/17/05, Jonathan Kaye <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Another way to go is to not wait for debian packages. I go directly to
> the firefox, thunderbird, openoffice, etc. and download the latest
> releases. I'm running Firefox 1.0.6 on testing (2.6.8-2) with zero
> problems. Same for TB 1.0.6 and OO 1.9.122. I can't recall every having
> a problem with firefox running this way. Download the tarball from the
> FF site, extract the files to a folder (usually called
> firefox-installer) and then copy the folder to its permanent home (I
> stick it in /opt). Rename the previous folder (if you have one)
> firefox.old, then rename firefox-installer, firefox and that's all there
> is to it.

That's it?  What about setting it up so that simply running "firefox"
from anywhere executes the version installed in /opt/firefox?  Do you
make a link in /usr/bin, overwriting the file there, or do you remove
the Debian Firefox package first, or what?  Or do you make a custom
launcher that directly runs the version in /opt (which would be less
than ideal for a multiuser system)?

I just installed the version from the Mozilla tarball, and it's
running fine, loaded up my previous session of tabs and extensions
just fine.  But I'm not sure of the best way to integrate it into the
rest of the system.  There's /usr/bin/firefox, and
/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/firefox-bin...  If I compiled it myself I
could make a package with checkinstall that would override the Debian
package, but be easily revertable...

*sigh*  Why does it have to be so hard?  I hate Windows, but it's not
even this hard on Windows.