On Tue, 27 May 2003 18:03:33 +0200
Steinar Bang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm attempting to have a very minimal installation of woody on the
> machine in question, and would prefer not to install any more packages
> than I have to (ie. no development tools).
>
> Other than this particular woody machine, I only have access to
> testing/unstable machines.  And building the package on one of them,
> would give me the same dependency problems as the 2.4.20 image from
> testing.

It's possible to make a kernel image deb on another Woody machine and
install it on the target Woody machine.

Just make sure you do the kernel configuration for the target machine, not
the machine you compile on.

If that won't work, install the development packages you need to compile,
make your kernel, then purge the development packages. A bit of a pain, I
agree, but you gotta do what you gotta do. :)

Use this document as a guide; it shows which packages you need to install to
compile kernels. When you install those packages, note the other packages
that are installed to satisfy dependencies. That way you have a list of
stuff to purge after you have the kernel you want.

http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html

Kevin