----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrei Popescu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Saturday, February 18, 2006 10:48 AM
Subject: Re: New install and newbie questions

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 10:00:32 -0700
"Charles" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

So I should 1) Add the 14 CD's and the two update CD's via "apt-cdrom add",
2) activate all sources in Synaptic, 3) run "apt-get update" and "apt-get
upgrade" and I'll have an up-to-date system.

You need at least:

deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main

and something like this (should have been added during the base-config)

deb ftp://ftp.your-mirror.org/debian stable main

These are present.

With this you can keep your system up to date if you regularly do 'apt-get update' 'apt-get upgrade'

Should this update very few packages if the download is one week old?

What download? The CD's? Do you have r0 or r1 CD's? If you have r1 than the update should be minimal.

Answers the question. Sarge r1 is identified as the most recent stable release, and that's what took all weekend to download. I also did my first reinstall and watchd it closely. The install process slipstreamed the updates through what was at that point a live DSL network connection.

[snip]

I'm also assuming the separation between end user and administrator is
enforced by the separation between GUI and CLI.

No. Any user (in the default install) can press Ctrl-Alt-F1(-F6) to login at the console. Or open an xterm, which is almost the same. Root can run X as well. And there are many GUI tools to configure your system, that can be started/used by any user who has the root password. This is true for most if not all distros.

But the EU is accustomed and expecting a GUI. Without it, s/he needs further education or training after getting under the hood.

This will be fun. If I can reproduce/document a successful installation, a
fair number of GUI's for the end user are available, the installation and
desktop is stable, and I have direct access to a broad library of software that can be installed on the fly, then I have a distribution of Linux I can work with. Mandrake has been averaging about one stable install each three
major versions, and that's the closest I come to a desktop with lots of
different GUI's.

The 'stable' release is rock solid. It's the recommended release for production systems

Which is what I need at this point - stability.

.