At 1148380811 past the epoch, Bruno Boettcher wrote:
> since i passed onto a amd64 machine i noticed that the
> basic charset used is utf8
>
> but mutt displays that in hex codes, with a \ prepended...
>
> is there a solution to this?

Well it doesn't happen to me with LANG=en_GB.UTF-8, locales
2.3.2.ds1-22sarge3 and mutt 1.5.9-2sarge1. I do have some
issues, however, using this underneath a screen session.

What package versions do you have?

> BTW at each update my default editor is changed to that
> horrible nano instead of the normal vim, any way to stop
> this?

Yes: change the priority of the vim alternative for "editor"
to something very low. see man 8 update-alternatives.

--
Jon Dowland
http://alcopop.org/