Joshua J. Kugler said...

> On Friday 14 July 2006 13:07, marc wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've managed to get Linux through the door at a client's site <whoop,
> > applause> However, it is necessary to time sync desktop client's to a
> > Windows server. (This is a strict requirement for reasons that I won't
> > go into. Yes, I know how trivial it would be with a Linux server, etc.)
> >
> > Windows has a "service" called Windows Time, but I haven't managed to
> > sync to it from the Linux boxes. Is it possible?
> >
> > In an attempt to approach this in a sane manner, I installed NetTIme on
> > a Windows box for testing. This worked, up to a point - the Linux boxes
> > could sync to it - but it has a huge flaw in that it refuses to act as a
> > time server when it can't access the sources it syncs from - who designs
> > this stuff? Since the server s not always connected to the net, this
> > means that the clients lose sync, which is not acceptable in this case.
> >
> > Basically, all I need is a time service on Windows that will sync when
> > sources are available, but continue to allow clients to sync to it when
> > they are not.
> >
> > Any ideas or suggestions?

> Should get you going:
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=ntp+windows

I'm a little beyond the 101 stage, thanks. I'm asking for suggestions
for a solution from folk who likely have experience with the problem.

I've already googled, read, installed, etc. There's little time left to
provide a solution before we'll resort to a Windows-only setup and the
chance for Linux to be deployed in a Windows-only shop will have passed.

I've yet to find an time server for Windows that will continue to server
clients when its external sync is absent.

--
Best,
Marc