marc wrote:
> Joshua J. Kugler said...
>> On Friday 14 July 2006 13:07, marc wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've managed to get Linux through the door at a client's site
>>> <whoop, applause> However, it is necessary to time sync
>>> desktop client's to a Windows server. (This is a strict
>>> requirement for reasons that I won't go into. Yes, I know how
>>> trivial it would be with a Linux server, etc.)
>>>
>>> Windows has a "service" called Windows Time, but I haven't
>>> managed to sync to it from the Linux boxes. Is it possible?
>>>
>>> In an attempt to approach this in a sane manner, I installed
>>> NetTIme on a Windows box for testing. This worked, up to a
>>> point - the Linux boxes could sync to it - but it has a huge
>>> flaw in that it refuses to act as a time server when it can't
>>> access the sources it syncs from - who designs this stuff?
>>> Since the server s not always connected to the net, this
>>> means that the clients lose sync, which is not acceptable in
>>> this case.
>>>
>>> Basically, all I need is a time service on Windows that will
>>> sync when sources are available, but continue to allow
>>> clients to sync to it when they are not.
>>>
>>> Any ideas or suggestions?
>
>> Should get you going:
>>
>> http://www.google.com/search?q=ntp+windows
>
> I'm a little beyond the 101 stage, thanks. I'm asking for
> suggestions for a solution from folk who likely have experience
> with the problem.
>
> I've already googled, read, installed, etc. There's little time
> left to provide a solution before we'll resort to a Windows-only
> setup and the chance for Linux to be deployed in a Windows-only
> shop will have passed.
>
> I've yet to find an time server for Windows that will continue to
> server clients when its external sync is absent.

Ah, so you've got a *Windows* question.  Why are you asking us?

Still, from Googling, I found this:
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/Configuring-Windows-Time-Service.html

    W32Time is based on the Simple Network Time Protocol (SNTP)
    as specified in RFC RFC 1769 (now superceded by RFC 2030).
    SNTP is designed to ensure *loose* synchronization only,
    which in the W32Time implementation means the clocks of all
    Windows 2000/XP/2003 machines in a forest will agree within
    20 seconds of one another (or 2 seconds difference within a
    particular site).

Sounds pretty bad to me.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.