A follow up:

I'm running kernel version 2.4.21 on the file server, and in RedHat I was running
2.4.18-3. None of the hardware has changed between distros.

Right now my system drive is hda and my storage drive (the one in
question) is hdb1 and hdb2 (two 100 gig primary partitions on a single
200 gig Maxtor 7200 RPM drive).

The machine itself is a homebrew AMD T-Bird 1.0 GHz with 512 megs of
basic PC133 ram.

I got a suggestion to try ReiserFS, anyone else running Reiser that is
happy with it?

--
Aaron Bieber
-