On (23/06/03 16:36), Kevin McKinley wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 14:56:37 +0100
> Clive Menzies <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > to guide me.  The only variation I adopted was to not rerun update grub
> > after editing the menu.lst.  It seemed to put all the settings back to
> > their original values.
>
> Perhaps something was wrong with the way you edited menu.lst. What you need
> to do is go into the AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST section, and edit the lines
> beginning with only one hash -- those are the default settings. Don't delete
> the lines or remove the single leading hash.
>
> Then run update-grub again.

When I did this, it took the values and reset them to to the default
values.  So having gone around in circles more than once, I tried just
booting without update grub and it worked fine.  Is there a flag in
menu.lst that stops it resetting?

> > I don't have separate boot partitions - your problem seems to be that
> > root is hda5, whereas menu.lst points to hda1.  Did update grub set it
> > back that way?
>
> That isn't a problem. It means his grub root is /dev/hda1, so he should use
>
> root (hd0,0)
>
> as the first line in menu.lst.
>
> The kernel line should read
>
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-whatever root=/dev/hda5 ro
>
> or something like that.

That is what I meant but didn't make myself very clear ;)

Thanks for the guidance

Clive