Steve Lamb wrote:
On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 15:37:45 -0400

The default setting for 'background' is "light". If you use a
terminal with a dark background, also run

:set bg=dark

Now if only there was a way to get the same color set between vim and gvim. That always boggled me. I haven't installed or altered the default color sets for terminal or GUI yet they are different. I like the defaults for the terminal. You'd think the GUI would match for consistency. :/

To alter the colors of console apps running in an xterm, modify /etc/X11/app-defaults/XTerm-color. There are certain commands to alter the color palette of the non-X console too. I did this, but found there's bugs in vim where colors are used differently between vim and gvim even if you get the palettes to match. I got no response when i told the vim list of these bugs.