>> This may be a faulty bit of equipment, but equally I could be missing
>> something obvious again.  I have three boxes attached to a DLink DI524
>> wireless router, two cabled and one wireless.  All three get leases of
>> between 32 and 40 seconds.

David, 'ps -a' doesn't show any instances of dhclient, but
'ps ax | grep dhc' gives just one:

 5607?   S<s   0:03 dhclient -e -pf /var/run/dhclient.eth0.pid -lf
/var/run/dhclient.eth0.leases eth0

The '.leases' file listed contains a long list of 40 second leases at 40
second intervals, as you would expect.

--
richard