On Sat, Jan 13, 2007 at 12:19:08PM +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> Greg Folkert: sorry for the CC, but you kept ignoring my other messages
> about this.
>
> Dear all,
>
> In the thread 'smooth upgrades' that was still running a few days ago
> there was the question of release names vs. code-names in the
> Default-Release option. The docs
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-apt-get.en.html#s-default-version
> and 'man apt_preferences' ('man apt.conf' doesn't mention it at all)
> only talk about release, but don't exclude code-names specifically.
>
> I thought I should do an experiment:
>
> Let's suppose an etch system, but the user needs (wants) some packages
> from unstable or even experimental and no apt.conf
>
> think:~# cat /etc/apt/sources.list
> deb http://ftp.ro.debian.org/debian/ etch main
>
> deb http://ftp.ro.debian.org/debian/ sid main
>
> deb http://ftp.ro.debian.org/debian/ experimental main
>

> think:~# echo 'APT::Default-Release "etch";' > /etc/apt/apt.conf
> think:~# apt-cache policy
> Package files:
>  100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>      release a=now
>    1 http://ftp.ro.debian.org experimental/main Packages
>      release o=Debian,a=experimental,l=Debian,c=main
>      origin ftp.ro.debian.org
>  500 http://ftp.ro.debian.org sid/main Packages
>      release o=Debian,a=unstable,l=Debian,c=main
>      origin ftp.ro.debian.org
>  500 http://ftp.ro.debian.org etch/main Packages
>      release o=Debian,a=testing,l=Debian,c=main
>      origin ftp.ro.debian.org
> Pinned packages:
>
> No effect whatsoever! Let's change 'etch' to 'testing'.

well, I find that thoroughly disappointing. I really want to be able
to tag my system to "etch" and have it stay there. What happens in
this scenario when etch becomes stable?

> think:~# sed -i -e s/etch/testing/ /etc/apt/apt.conf
> think:~# apt-cache policy
> Package files:
>  100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>      release a=now
>    1 http://ftp.ro.debian.org experimental/main Packages
>      release o=Debian,a=experimental,l=Debian,c=main
>      origin ftp.ro.debian.org
>  500 http://ftp.ro.debian.org sid/main Packages
>      release o=Debian,a=unstable,l=Debian,c=main
>      origin ftp.ro.debian.org
>  990 http://ftp.ro.debian.org etch/main Packages
>      release o=Debian,a=testing,l=Debian,c=main
>      origin ftp.ro.debian.org
> Pinned packages:
>
> Now 'etch' has priority 990 vs 500 of sid. This will keep the system
> running *unstable* (when etch is released apt will want to upgrade to
> next testing).

ummm... this, as I understand it, is not correct. priority 990 for the
etch line means that those packages are newer *and* in the target, and
so will be installed. priority 500 means the packages are newer and
*NOT* in the target and will not be installed. so this will run "etch"
not "unstable".  but again, with DefaultRelease pointing to "testing"
what happens with "etch" in stable? default release points to
"testing" but none of the sources.list opint to testing, but instead
to tagged releases.

IMO, this whole situation is too confusing. default release should
accept either form as that is much more intuitive and allows that
wonderful train/platform analogy to actually function properly.