On Mon, Feb 05, 2007 at 06:48:34PM EST, Mathias Brodala wrote:
> Hello.
>
> cga2000, 06.02.2007 00:29:
> > What bothers me, though, is that a lot of the stuff in /usr/share/ --
> > one Meg here .. 600K there .. etc. apparently belongs to packages I have
> > removed (apt-get remove package-name) .. Probably adds up to a hundred
> > Meg or thereabout .. Looks like I should have specified a purge flag or
> > whatever and I would probably have freed up a couple more hundred
> > Megs.. probably too late now.
>
> No problem. You could use some one-liner like the following:
>
> # for i in `dpkg -l | grep ^rc | awk '{print $2}'`;do dpkg -P "$i";done
>
> Explanation:
>
> dpkg -l: This will obviously print out the status of every known package.
> grep ^rc: Only removed packages with config files left are relevant.
> awk '{print $2}': We only need the package names.
> dpkg -P: Purge the package.

Thanks, Mathias .. (g)awk is indeed our friend.

I'll double check the details of the above before running it but your
logic makes excellent sense.

I ran the "dpkg -l | grep ^rc | awk .. " bit -- up to the semicolon
and I have about three screenful worth of packages .. everything I
removed over the weekend, it would seem..

> But make sure that you *really* need none of those config files anymore.

Well, that's what I found surprising .. the /usr/share stuff is not
config files .. more like doc .. examples .. metaprograms / metadata ..
I'm not sure why these files were not removed by a regular "apt-get
remove" in the first place .. ??

In any event, I never even _used_ the vast majority of these packages ..
let alone configure them .. My guess is that they got pulled in when I
installed gnome/kde.

As far as I can remember, the only thing I need to worry about is to
make sure I do not remove any .gconf, .gtkrc or .kderc file -- and
possibly ".qtrc" if there is such a thing .. because I have some X
font-related stuff in here that I would rather hang on to ..

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

cga