On Sat, 2007-02-24 at 23:24 +0100, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:

> > On Fri 2007-02-23 08:16:48 -0800 Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > > isn't it just using RBL's at smtp time and rejecting before recieving
> > > the mail?
>
> On 23.02.07 19:15, David Hart wrote:
> > AFAIU no, but that's the way I do it with postfix.  Both my primary
> > and secondary MXs do RBL checks and stuff like recipient validation
> > and then make the accept/reject decision after the RCPT TO: but before
> > the DATA.
> >
> > Greg Folkert said that he uses SA-Exim (which calls spamassassin)
> > to do scans at smtp time but without any online checks.  I don't see
> > how you can do this without receiving the bulk of the email.
>
> the advantage of smtp time rejection is, you will just reject the data with
> error and you don't have to do anything with it - the rest is up to sender.
> Especially if you would bounce the e-mail, you'll win this way...

Bouncing... bingo. If the sender doesn't handle it properly, it isn't my
problem.

I receive up to the 5K of message section. Then SA-Exim pauses the
connection for a bit... doing its job. Then either continue or
"reject/bounce" the e-mail from then. Of course, if the sending machine
doesn't honor RFC-822... I reject the message outright.

Fun.
--
greg, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup