Try the Sandisk Sansa e200's they run from 1 to 8gb so they might hit your
price point somewhere along the way, don't use alkalines, but there is a
user replacable li-ion battery.  Also, rockbox.org just realeased their
firmware replacement in march for the e200 line.

I've only had mine for a couple of months but no issues so far.