On Saturday 19 May 2007, Joey Hess wrote:
> Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> > I guess the question is where to draw and then who draws that line.
>
> While M. Fioretti has basically pointed out that no matter what line
> is drawn, there's still clearly a problem, and so I'm tempted to not
> respond; it's actually easy to draw a line.
>
> There exists a gentoo-user mailing list. If a post to debian-user
> would be exactly as on-topic if posted to gentoo-user, then it is
> offtopic on *both* lists, and belongs on neither.

Not true.  For example, I'm having trouble with Firefox crashing.  It
could be packing, it could be the program, it could be a known bug.  (I
haven't looked it up yet.)  If I can eliminate it being a bug in the
code and have done my homework with Google, it would be on topic to ask
about it here, since it is an issue with a Debian package and I may
need to narrow it down.  Asking here could help a great deal with that.

> See: Posting about religion is identically off-topic on gentoo-user
> as it is here, and thus belongs in neither place.

We had a problem on the Libranet list where a number of us got into some
serious and deep discussions about religion and politics.  Not one
person was being disrespectful or calling names, but there were a few
people that never answered any questions and just seemed to lurk who
complained.  We solved that by creating an OT group that still goes
well today.  Some people ask for technical help, but we have a lot of
discussions over politics, religion, and other topics.

Perhaps starting a DU-OT group so threads can be taken over there might
help.  Maybe it could be worked out through Debian as a new list or, in
the worst case, it could be done through a Yahoo group.

I don't tend to read the OT threads here because they go on so long and
get so involved that I find it hard to keep up with them, do my coding,
AND have a life.  The OT threads don't bother me, but they do seem to
bother others, often for the sole point that they can't bear to see
anything handled other than in the way they want it handled.

Hal