I am looking for a reliable wifi manager for gnome for my dad (I'm comfortable
enough with the command line and fvwm).

I tried using the installed NetworkManger Applet but it doesn't seem to setup
things properly, in manual mode after I plug in the usb wifi thingy I need to
do ifdown wlan0 followed by a ifup wlan0 and it will sometimes work. In roaming
mode it doesn't set the wep key at all.

I am trying to convert my dad to linux and proper wifi is kind of the main must.

Thanks