On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 07:33:28 -0500
"Dennis G. Wicks" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Ron Johnson wrote the following on 07/14/2007 05:49 AM:
>

> > Dump gdm (or whichever is the display manager of your choice).
> >
> >  From that command line, su and remove [xgk]dm and reboot.  Then
> > you'll get a console and log in using that, and type "startx" to
> > get to GNOME.
> >

> Thanks! That got me back on.
>
> I figured you meant to rm /usr/sbin/gdm but I just mv'd it to a
> different name. Just in case!

Actually, I believe he meant to use apt-get or aptitude to remove it.
Rename the gdm file back to its original name, then, in a root console,
enter "apt-get remove gdm" (no quotes). To remove a package, always use
the package manager.

> So, what do I have to do to get gdm(?) to behave like it used to?
>
> The ability to run more than one Gnome session is really handy.
> I mean what I happens when I do ctl-alt-F8, -F9, etc.

Well, if you've already run "startx" on a console, you can log into
another console (Ctrl+Alt+F2, seeing that F1 is already in use) and
then type "startx -- :1" (no quotes), then do your Ctrl+Alt+F8, and now
you'll have two graphical sessions running. If you want more, log into
another console (maybe Ctrl+Alt+F3), then "startx -- :2" (no quotes),
using Ctrl+Alt+F9 to go to your third graphical session.

Graham