On 08/19/2007 05:00 PM, Ken Irving wrote:
[...]
I haven't tried aptitude for some time, and apparently the problem I
had with it (where it wanted to remove a lot of stuff) has been fixed.
I think that, even before that fix, it would work reasonably (i.e., no
surprises)  as long as it was used exclusively.  [...]

And I think that's why I haven't had any problems with it.

I forgot to mention that I also usually start aptitude as a normal user, and I carefully select and deselect packages--examining what aptitude will do and why--before I consider installing. This allows me to back out of any changes without any danger of modifying the system until I'm ready.

In many cases, aptitude says to me the equivalent of "sorry bub, you'll have to compile from the source if you don't want to break your system." I've learned (from reading of other people's bad experiences) to take that advice :-)