Hi Nigel,

On Sun Sep 09, 2007 at 21:15:32 +0200, Nigel Henry wrote:
> This has got more than a joke now. We are being bombarded with s-x spam yet
> again. I can't send it to Spamcop because it will identify the list as the
> sender.

True, and you will most probably also get kicked from the lists by us.

> Come on Murphy, get your act together, get the sawn-off out of it's case, and
> filter these spammers off the list. One way or the other I couldn't care less
> how you do it. If their, what passes for brains end up splaterred over the
> nearest wall is no big deal to me.

There might be two or more reasons why you get more spam since a couple
of day. One is, that since about a week or so we get drastic more spam
which also morphs that fast, that the self-learning filters can't adjust
that quickly.

Another reason is that the listmasters did a drastic redesign of the
whole spamfilter of murphy.debian.org this weekend. Doing this required
also to drop and retrain all the dynamic filers we have, so you might
have seen a bit of more spam the last hours. That should self-regulate
the next couple of hours.

> I've got bogofilter running on Kmail, but because of the high volume on the
> list, Debian-user is filtered before bogofilter has a go at the remaining
> stuff. Most of the pe-is size related stuff ends up in the trash, where it
> belongs, but I'm stuck with the spam that get's filtered into individual
> mailing boxes before bogofilter has a go at it.

Actually you can be lucky that you are not subscribed to
lists.debian.org before the spam-filter. I needed to do that today, to
find some nasty errors in our new setup, which really sucked. Watching
your INBOX grow by ~50 Mails / min per Debian mailing list is not fun
at all. JFTR, read Joeys blog[1] to get some ideas on the numbers.
Currently about 99.5% of all incoming mail to lists.debian.org is
discarded before it gets delivered. On a bad day you might see perhaps
~10% of the still delivered mail being spam, which means, that actually
only 0.05% of all incoming spam is being delivered to the lists, a rate
which i think is acceptable from the listmaster PoV. Even though we try
to do better every day.

> Sorry if this sounds a bit sarcastic, but I'm feeling sarcastic at the
> moment,
> as I don't want this cr-p on my machine.
>
> I don't have a shotgun, or hunting rifle, but I'd be game for an organised
> shoot if the spammers were the targets.

A thing every user can do is to bounce spam delivered to the lists to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Best you use mutt's bounce-function or
Kmails redirect function for that, so the headers don't get modified, so
we can directly us that emails to train our filters to do better.

And if you find we should add more or better rules to our spamfilter,
feel free to send patches for [2].

Greetings

Martin, having his listmaster's hat on and being VERY tired, as the
listmasters had a quite productive weekend with nearly up to no sleep at
all.

[1] http://www.infodrom.org/~joey/log/?200709091425
[2]
http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-listmaster/trunk/spamassassin_config/?rev=0&sc=0