On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 23:50:44 -0500, Mike McCarty
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> Oops! I somehow neglected to specify...  PS/2 style keyboard PS/2
> style mouse Keyboard works

> PS/2 style keyboard USB style mouse Keyboard stops working

        I am afraid I cannot reproduce this. I have two machines,
 including my laptop, and I tried adding a USB mouse and keyboard to
 both, and they both worked.

        I think we need more details in order for us to be able to help
 solve this problem; and this might explain the lack of response
 earlier -- people might not be seeing the same issues, and thus can't
 debug it without more information.

> Same setup works with you-know-what.

        Then perhaps  you-know-what _is_ the better solution, as far as
 you are concerned. I don't think we should be brow beating people into
 usding free software -- it should be their cohice.  If they do not like
 what free software has to offer, and like some other solution better,
 we should respect that decision.

> ["snip no fix yet"s]

> Ok, so how does one get a newer kernel, install it, and get all the
> memory available?

 $ apt-cache search linux-image
 $ aptitude install <linux-image-foo of your choice>
 $ update-grub (or the like, if you have not edited /etc/kernel-img.conf)
 $ reboot.

>>> She's sorta impulsive, sometimes.
>>>
>>> Partly, she also wants access to a disc which was formatted by
>>> Windows NT, and which she considers she has no access to at present.
>>
>> libntfs-3g12.  Will need a FUSE-enabled kernel.

> Again, how to obtain and install? I believe it is already mountable
> and readable.

        I think with the kernel above, you should be able to mount an
 NTFS volume (mount -t ntfs) without using fuse.

        manoj
--
Boys will be boys, and so will a lot of middle-aged men. Kin Hubbard
Manoj Srivastava <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <http://www.golden-gryphon.com/>