On Saturday 06 October 2007 14:57, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 20:50:46 +0200, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > I've got realtime working on Etch, with a realtime kernel from the musix
> > repo, along with rtirq, and schedutils as a dependency to rtirq. Saying
> > that, rtirq doesn't appear to be running, but the chrt tool in schedutils
> > has worked around the problem, and I have my soundcard set up with a prio
> > of 90, and no, or nearly no xruns. Just one every 6m 25secs, and only of
> > 0.250 msecs.
> >
> > Moving on to Lenny, and after a bit of googling, schedutils appears to
> > now be merged into util-linux. I have util-linux installed, but looking
> > at the installed files for it in synaptic, I don't see chrt, which is one
> > of the old schedutils tools that I need to be able to set realtime
> > priorities for the soundcard. In Etch chrt is in /usr/bin. Looking in
> > Lenny, it doesn't exist.
>
> [...]
>
> > So, just how can I get a realtime kernel running on Lenny now that
> > schedutils is no longer available?
>
> Having taken a quick look at the dependencies, I would think that you
> can install Sid's current version (2.13-8) of util-linux on a Lenny
> system. This one includes /usr/bin/chrt. (The problem is that Lenny is
> still stuck at Etch's version of util-linux, which assumes that
> schedutils is available as a separate package.)
>
> --
> Regards,            | http://users.icfo.es/Florian.Kulzer
>           Florian

Thanks for that Florian. I'd checked on Fedora 7's version of util-linux, and
the old schedutils tools are there. The version on Lenny is 2.12r-19. I'll go
for the later Sid version, and hope it installs ok.

I'm still trying to find out why Marcos's rtirq from the musix repo is not
being started. It appears to have something to do with, when it installs, it
creates a sysconfig directory in /etc, and puts rtirq in that, rather than
in /etc/default, which is where it should be. If Sid's util-linux installs on
Lenny ok, I think I'll install rtirq, which will create an /etc/sysconfig
directory, then make a symlink from /etc/default/rtirq pointing
to /etc/sysconfig/rtirq, and see if that resolves the problem with rtirq I
had on Etch, before I used chrt to change the priority of the soundcard to
90, which fixed the realtime problem on Etch.

I know rtirq isn't running on Etch because sysv-rc-conf shows runlevels
2,3,4,and 5 unchecked, and trying to run /etc/init.d/rtirq status, just
segfaults, as does /etc/init.d/rtirq start.

I'll post back either way, as this may be usefull to someone wanting to get
realtime working on Debian.

Thanks for your help.

Nigel.