Bret Busby wrote:

The web addresses, or, URL's, that are involved with the unauthorised "untitld windows" being opened, vary, from addresses to which I have previously been, to addresses that I regularly visit, inclusing the two below, with such addresses being unlikely to involve malicious code, hence the problem appears significantly more likely to lay with some bug (or, possibly malicious code (?) ) within the particular web browser applications.

It recently happened while the system monitor showed memory usage of less than 50% total (out of 2GB RAM).

The "untitled windows" appear to open as pop-ups, although I have a setup configuration of the web browsers, to block pop-ups, which obviously does not work within the software.

The problem also appears to occur, apart from when I open links in either new tabs or new windows, when a tab within a window, automatically refreshes, such as the news and weather web pages at http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDW60034.shtml and http://www.abc.net.au/news/justin/ . Then, I get multiple "untitled windows" opened, even if I am not doing anything, other than leaving browser windows displaying web pages, open.

Leaving web browser windows open, appears to be dangerous, due to the unauthorised actions performed by the software, including the opening of the unauthorised "untitled windows", and, otherwise increasing usage of preocessor and memory resources.

Your installation is either broken, your machine has been compromised, or you have a setting turned on that is non-standard in your profile.

The examples you gave above do not pop any extra windows here on any OS or browser I've tried. (Various browsers, on Windows, Debian, Ubuntu, and OS X.)

I think the examples given by others of either rebuilding your profile, and/or purging and reinstalling are a good start for troubleshooting.

You might also want to log into that machine as a different user and see if the problem happens to any other users other than your own. Preferrably not root, another regular user... for sanity.

Note that on the top of the first example page it says:

"This page has been replaced by an improved version so it will be discontinued after August 31st 2006. Please update your bookmarks."

Cute.  2006, huh?

They're right on the ball there at the Oz Meteorology department...

Nate