On Oct 17, 2007, at 8:08 AM, Daniel Burrows wrote:

On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 10:48:40PM -0700, Steve Lamb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> was heard to say:
Nate Duehr wrote:
Perhaps you
might argue that the software should handle it perfectly, but at that
level of insanity, I certainly don't care anymore... as one user to
another -- since I'm not a developer or package maintainer

    Might I suggest since you're neither a developer or a package
maintainer to keep your insults to yourself?  Be helpful or be gone.

Personally, I would hope that developers and package maintainers would
also keep their insults to themselves.

I didn't start the insults, please look back through the thread. The original poster gets more and more agitated that people aren't "testing correctly" without fully defining his problem from the beginning.

(If I'd have seen him say, "I'm opening a god-awful number of windows and then... X happens...", I would have ignored the entire thread from the beginning. He suckered me into trying to help and then said I wasn't doing it right... fine... go whine to the devs, instead of a USER list.)

I'm sure all the fine folks dog-piling on me who didn't bother to read the entire thread, will get all of his problems sorted out now. For free. Like "professionals" even! And he'll NEVER have another problem ever again with free software! (Yes, that's sarcasm.)

The OP needs to realize that free software sometimes works great, sometimes works badly. Having an attitude that reeks of "entitlement" (this MUST work for me or you must make it work!), doesn't get many other users interested in helping him.

In my upset state, I mixed in the information of exactly how to trace what the software is doing with some "get a clue" insults. I probably shouldn't have done that. Still others had offered up MULTIPLE ideas on how to fix the problem, and the OP refuses to try them.

I don't think I'm the one with the problem here. Guess what? Iceape/ Iceweasel works FINE for me... so guess who has the problem?

The OP needs to get over himself and try some of the suggestions given, in some cases those solutions have been repeated MULTIPLE times by his peers here with more experience with the software.

Rebuild the profile, purge and reinstall, or trace the software and see exactly what's triggering the behavior you don't like. It's just a damn browser, after all. There are other browsers to try, too.

Am I still a bit upset? Yes. I hate it when people think they DESERVE answers to their questions here. It reeks of the very elitism he claims I hit him with -- I just flung it back his direction, is all. I only did because he started in on me... ignoring suggestions, acting like he was entitled to better answers, claiming that we weren't "doing it right" when he hadn't shared even the most important detail -- that he was opening a large number of windows to lots of different sites. (If you recall, he sent a list of exactly TWO URL's and told us those were the problem sites. Uh- huh, sure.)

Anyway... who cares? He'll either find answers to his problems from all you "nice" people, or he'll still hate the software and maybe even me, and I'll still be happy with the software I'm using and he won't. The "mean" people offered up solutions and he didn't like them. Oh well. I guess we're terrible people. Good bye.

(I'm going to go be "mean" and enjoy the efforts of all the developers who've kindly developed all this free software. Sometimes it doesn't work right -- you don't see me complaining that a USER list isn't supporting it in a "professional" way. Of course we don't. We're users. Talk to the devs, for crying out loud. I never owed you any answers or ideas in the first place, and you went on the offensive when you didn't like what I offered. I didn't start it. Then Steve piles on with complaints that I'm being rude. Fine. Steve can fix your problems, as I'm sure he will. Please make sure to send any complaints in the future to Steve.)

--
Nate Duehr
[EMAIL PROTECTED]