Dietrich Bollmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Every now and then I have to write something in German or
> Japanese.  And normally this entails about one week of trials
> to make Open Office work again with "scim" or "uim" (both input
> methods).  When finally everything works, it is normally too
> late for my letter but there is still time enough to give Open
> Office a chance to not work anymore when needed again.
[..]
> Any idea how to make Open Office work with "uim" or "scim"
> again?

If you have a UTF-8 locale (like en_GB.UTF-8; this is
case-sensitive) there is no need to ever change it again.

Google "International text support on Linux" and select the first
result. This explains all the details.

For Japanese, you need anthy (most convenient in combination with
uim). If you want to use scim (which is possible although I do not
recommend it) be aware that scim needs a line in
/etc/scim/global.conf, if you want to use it in an en_GB locale:

  /SupportedUnicodeLocales = en_US.UTF-8,en_GB.UTF-8

(the default is that scim only works with en_US.UTF-8; weird, but
this has not changed for years). Anyway, uim is better than scim
for "international" users (I think) because it has better support
for the "Compose Key".

For German on an English keyboard you do not need any special
software. Just set up your keyboard to be the "us" keyboard with
the "alt-intl" variant. This can be used both for English and German.

When this is set up correctly, Japanese / German / English input
will work in all programs, including Openoffice, and will continue
working after upgrades as well.

Regards, beste Grüße, よろしくお願いします, Jan