               *********
That should be quoted: "@im=SCIM"

>   GTK_IM_MODULE="scim"; export GTK_IM_MODULE
>
>   # start scim if not already running
>   if [ -z "$(ps -A | grep -i scim)" ]; then
>    scim -d ### &> /dev/null &
>   fi

Here is my scim script (I have it in .xsession)

export XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM"
export GTK_IM_MODULE="scim"
export QT_IM_MODULE="scim"
export LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.utf8
#export LANG=ja_JP.utf8
#export LC_ALL=ja_JP.utf8
/usr/bin/scim -d &

I don't use the LANG setting because I want my menus to
be in English. LC_ALL changes a bunch of those values
at one time.

--
Joel Roth