My wife & I stay logged into our sessions, switching users all the time.  I
have noticed a few times, and it happened again this morning. WHen I switch
to my session, I am put into the login screen, as if I logged out. So I add
my password, and the login process starts, starting the KDE login script,
going through those icons on the screen. Except now it stalls at the first
icon that looks like an internal HD. It stays there for a while, then
everything disappears except for the blue background.
        I switched to the alt-F1 text login, and looked for processes running
owned
by me. All that I saw was famd.
I did a pkill famd, went back to my  KDE login screen ( ctrl-alt-F7) , put in
my password, and voila, I was logged in.
Is famd necessary? is famd causing this?
--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800