Paul Cartwright wrote:

I switched to the alt-F1 text login, and looked for processes running owned by me. All that I saw was famd. I did a pkill famd, went back to my KDE login screen ( ctrl-alt-F7) , put in my password, and voila, I was logged in.
Is famd necessary? is famd causing this?

Can't see that famd would be causing this - see what you've got installed that requires it by doing apt-cache rdepends fam. ISTM you are being automatically logged out of your KDE session - have you got Kiosk mode enabled or TMOUT set somewhere in your login scripts? What happens if you disable the screensaver and 'require password' in KDE? Does this happen for other user accounts?

Cheers,
Jamin
--
Jamin @ Home @ Chester UK