Dan H. wrote:
Well, I guess the subject caught your attention after all.

Of course I'm not saying goodbye to Debian, at least not voluntarily and
certainly not at home. But I just changed jobs, and so moved from a self-
administered Debian box to a locked-up, preinstalled all-M$ Dell thing.
M$ Office, M$IE, Lotus Notes 6 (soon to be migrated to Outlook Express).

I've never really used Windows before and thought of it as just another
system -- I like Debian, you like Windows, no sweat.

Boy, what a piece of crap. It boggles the mind. This is how the world's
office workers get their work done? Or do they?

I managed to install Opera in a directory owned by myself, but whenever I
try to open any page it keeps asking me for usernames and passwords,
which IE somehow seems to inherently know about. That thing doesn't even
have tabs or a decent bookmark handler. That's the #1 browser in the
world! WTF? Am I missing something here?

OK, this rant really doesn't belong in this group, but I need some
sympathy right now.

Thanks for listening,
--D.

Well, you have just begun. Wait till you experience the real horrors of windows, aka viruses, spyware, adware, etc, though with your unix like browsing habits, you may be less prone to be fooled by malware sites.

You might want to install cygwin, it gives you a unix-like environment within windows. It was a life-saver during my brief corporate employment. See http://www.cygwin.com

--
Raj Kiran Grandhi