On  9 Aug 10:32, Dan Hunt wrote:
> http://www.alsa-project.org/ was my stop today.
> I downloaded the latest alsa stable files into my home/alsa directory.

I have the same motherboard and the on-board sound works fine with ALSA.

> I have made some progress, posted the last dmesg to
> http://hunt.ath.cx/dmesg.txt

Your dmesg output shows half a dozen lines beginning via82cxxx.  I
believe these are from the kernel OSS drivers so you might want to
disable these first as thats probably causing this:

        VIA 82xx soundcard not found or device busy

(Although thats a guess I never tried the OSS driver myself)

> I installed "aumix" and set the volume up with that.

The device outputs 6 channels make sure you set the *volume* and *unmute*
the necessary channels.

        Motherboard        Speakers                ALSA Channel
        line out        -> front left & right   -> surround
        line in         -> rear left & right    -> surround
        mic             -> center               -> center
        mic             -> lfe                  -> lfe

Use alsamixer (or alsamixergui for X11) to adjust the channels as aumix
doesn't seem to show all the channels.

--
 .''`.     Jason Chambers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
: :'  :    Registered Linux user #271693