On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 10:40:33AM +0200, David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> was heard
to say:
> Hi and thanks for your reply.
>

> >  I'm not an expert, but I think that packages in testing are just that -
> >  under test.  Not just the individual packages, but also how they fit in
> >  with other packages.  I imagine these packages were removed for a good
> >  reason.  Again, I'm not sure about all this, but this may be useful
> >  regarding xmms, one of the examples you mentioned:
> >
> >  http://packages.qa.debian.org/x/xmms.html
>
> Thanks, I didn't notice before that there were log messages for
> removal (and reason) from testing in the QA pages. For each of the
> packages I listed there was a reasonable explanation.
>
> Personally I don't agree that packages in testing should be removed if
> a) version in testing is very old, and b) there is an updated version
> in unstable which hasn't gone to testing yet, but I'm sure that Debian
> has a good reason for this (to give the maintainers a metaphorical
> 'kick in the pants'?). Anyone have more info on this? XMMS being
> removed is a surprise too, since the most similar media player
> Audacious still has a lot of problems for me, and my work uses XMMS
> for one of our main services.

  I believe the main reason for removing packages from testing is if
they're holding up active transitions.  Say 200 packages have to be
migrated to testing in tandem with a library update to maintain
consistency, and one of them isn't properly updated yet.  The RMs will
remove that one package from testing to allow the other 199 to go
through.

  (please take this with a grain of salt, I'm not a release manager
   and I don't fully understand the testing system)

  Daniel