Hi again list, and thanks for the replies.

My PC survived the upgrade to Unstable and actually has fewer problems
than I did with Testing (besides a few xorg.conf and nvidia-xconfig
issues, and 2 gtk libraries being held back due to dependancy
problems).

A follow-up for those packages I mentioned:

xmms - Removed because it is old and unmaintained, has dependancy
problems. I had problems with audacious/testing, but
audacious/unstable works great and looks just like XMMS (with the
Refugee skin). Also it seems to have remote control functionality
(dbus) which I need at work for it to be a replacement for XMMS.

nvidia-glx (nvidia-graphics-drivers) - An old version was sitting in
Testing for months. It was never updated in unstable because the
updated versions have a lot of bug reports, and also because they want
kernel module packages which were never uploaded (presumably because
users can make them with modula-assistant). Eventually, a newer
package linux-2.6 (which had dependancy issues with the old
nvidia-graphics-drivers) moved to Testing, which kicked
nvidia-graphics-drivers out of Testing.

comix - The version in Testing had security problems, so it was
removed automatically (however, the insecure version stayed in
Unstable). Almost a month later a fixed version was uploaded to stable
and 10 days later it moved to Testing.

Overall, I get the impression that Testing is a very good staging area
for the next Stable, but it can be a 2nd-class citizen (compared to
Stable and Unstable) for end-users, with packages getting very out of
date or even disappearing from time to time. I need to keep this in
mind for the future.

David.