On 04/14/08 20:31, David Fox wrote:
> Oops, I meant that to go to the list, sorry David.
>
> On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 11:35 PM, David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  > Hi list.
>  >
>  >  Something I've noticed with Testing/Lenny is that packages often
>  >  disappear for a short period (a few days or weeks) and then reappear.
>  >  A few current examples: xmms and nvidia-glx. If you look on
>
>  I find that odd as well, since I am running Lenny (was running etch
>  whilst it was still the testing branch) and I have xmms available. If
>  the packages were going to be removed, wouldn't an aptitude
>  dist-upgrade flag it and/or attempt the removal? It has done so for
>  other packages, libraries for instance that are never used anymore.

That's the difference between libraries and apps.  An app will be
removed if the dependent libraries are removed (by user or Debian),
and libraries will be flagged for removal if the *user* removes the
only app that uses them.

But if an app is removed from a repository, apt won't tell you.
deborphan might, though.

>  For instance:
>
>  xmms:
>   Installed: 1:1.2.10+20070601-1+b1
>   Candidate: 1:1.2.10+20070601-1+b1
>   Version table:
>   *** 1:1.2.10+20070601-1+b1 0
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>
>  Seems to tell me that it is there, but there is no update or package
>  available, If I read that correctly.

Yup.

[snip]

>  I suppose I can remove xmms; I don't use it much. I tried removing it
>  before, but that was during the etch testing cycle, IIRC. And it
>  couldn't be removed as far as I remember because of dependency issues.
>
>  For what it is worth, a good replacement for xmms is
>  'beep-media-player' although others will have their preferences. I do
>  have that installed.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA