I managed to cobble something together.

I used the lenny unstable build for my source "rules"

I needed to add "--enable-openssl" to cure the build "sanity" over
OPENSSL_cleanse.

Then I did

debian/rules clean

Which failed miserably.

Then

debian/rules build

this passed fine.

make was fine.

"make build" however was trying to move over mod_wrap2 to the DSO
library but it had not compiled. So I fudged it with a build from the
generic "Lenny unstable" as I don't need these libraries anyway.

Thats now good for my production server (only kidding - its for in
house use)

Thanks for everones help here, at least I have something that I can
use.

jON